Monday, January 28, 2008

Musical Musings

My thoughts turned to music a few weeks ago when I heard the song Short People on the radio. Being short myself, I have heard the familiar line, 'Short people got nobody,' but I had never heard the whole song before.

It is not a nice song.

Maybe it is because I am short, but I certainly wasn't impressed by the lyrics. They are mean. Tyler had never heard of the song at all and I think he was dubious to whether there really was a song about short people having no reason to live. I played it for him and he laughed and laughed. (Ha ha).

That evening we started talking about songs we hadn't heard in a while and songs we could only remember a few lines to. The internet is amazing for finding songs that you had almost forgotten. Tyler knows there are a few that really touch my heartstrings and he proceeded to play some of these tearjerkers while I was trying to go to sleep. On the first song, I found a few tears in my eyes (against my will) and by the end of the second, I was weeping. Tyler was again trying not to laugh, because I am pretty sure he was picking these songs on purpose to get a reaction. Well, congrats Tyler, the pregnant woman predictably bawled when you put on a song about children being sick. Sherrie Austin sings a song called Streets of Heaven about a mother who doesn't want her sick daughter to be taken yet. Holy cow, I can't handle it. And it certainly doesn't help that I have three daughters. I finally had to tell Tyler to knock it off because I was using up all the tissue in the house.

But music is wonderful. I love how it can pull an emotion out of you, or it takes you back somewhere to the first time you heard it play. I can't listen to the No Doubt album without thinking of this silly board game because I played them both together too often in high school. I went to sleep the other night listening to Sunny's blog because she put some great music on there. What would life be like without music? Certainly not as wonderful as it is now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great minds think alike!! The unfortunate thing about your Tyler story is that you can't get at him in the same way. I mean, songs that are nostalgic for him, like "I'm too sexy" certainly won't bring him to tears.

John DePalatis said...

Okay, I'll sing the first bar and you fill in the rest.

"Sang! Sang! Ooh ga...?

Sharona said...

Maleeny!!!

I so have some of those songs. Sometimes it even happens to me in church. It's awfully embarassing when that happens. Music is DOCH powerful.