Friday, February 15, 2008

Deal or No Deal



I think I have worked out all my bad vibes and I want to apologize to Valentine's Day. V-day, you are still an over-priced, over-advertised holiday, but your motives are pure. I read a few other blogs and realized I want to find a few fun things to do with my family (I liked the idea of homemade cinnamon rolls on V-day morning...of course I would add pink icing). Just small stuff to create lasting memories for the girls. And flowers of course.
Tyler likes to buy me flowers for Valentine's Day. But he is appalled at the prices during this season (yes, they jack the price WAY up just for those poor lads who feel the need to say 'I love you' with flowers). My sister-in-law got married during this lovely month and spent almost all her wedding money just on the floral arrangements because of the exhorbant costs.
Tyler has decided that flowers the day after will be just as appreciated as flowers, the day of. But the devious stores have thought of this ploy, so naturally the prices don't go down right away. I imagine they hold on for a good two to three days to catch all the stragglers and especially the poor men who forgot to get flowers in the first place and are now going to pay in several ways (not just with a checkbook). Tyler came home and told me that he was going to get flowers for me, but $46.00 for a dozen roses was just not in our budget right now, but he still loved me. I conceded that was a wise choice. But later that evening, we were shopping around at Sam's Club and they had two dozen roses for $6.92. Hmmm, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which was a better deal. So, my roses did not come from some underhanded flower shop that would probably throw in some baby's breath and ribbon for FREE!! Instead I just got beautiful flowers. I think I know where we are shopping next year.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Yea- we love getting flowers at Costco- they have the most gorgeous, huge bouquets there for 15- 20 dollars. Much better idea!

¡Vieve! said...

Aw...flowers! I only hope one day I can find someone who will give me some! (I'm think I'm going to die alone)