Saturday, February 9, 2008

I Need a Magic Wand

I was watching Sword and the Stone with Robyn the other day. It is one of my all-time favorite Disney movies. The wizard duel is the coolest. And then I was thinking about the way Merlin packed his whole house in one bag and enchanted the dishes to wash themselves...I could really use something like that. I feel that I am pretty easy-going in many ways, but when it comes to clutter and uncleanliness, it gets on my nerves so badly. Perhaps because I know it is all waiting there for ME to clean up. True, I have help from time to time, but with kids you have to shepherd them through the cleaning process and that is sometimes more frustrating than doing it myself. I need to let go of the fact that the house will not always be spotless and focus on one thing at a time.
Tonight was not a pleasant evening. I tried to get kids to clean, but it wasn't going the way I wanted and all children ended up in bed before 6:45. I think they were tired since Robyn was actually asleep before Ivory was in bed, but I didn't feel good about the whole experience. In my mind I was just enforcing rules (like 'Don't throw books at your sister') but I am always the bad guy in the end. I can tell the kids are not pleased when prayers go something like, "Mom is not beautiful anymore." June was a bit kinder with, "Thank you for a mom and dad even if they are mean sometimes."
I'm sure I could have turned cleaning into a big game and sang some songs and we could have all snuggled on the couch for a story before bed, but sometimes that is not how it goes. And when it comes down to it, what is more important--that the house is clean or that they go to sleep feeling they live in a safe loving home. So, I was just thinking that a wand could really help. Then I could focus more on my kids and not being a cranky mom when the house is messy. Has anyone seen one for sale...perhaps on Ebay?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the most magical creature I know of. You need no wand.

My hat's off to all the moms around the world who work endlessly to secure both house and home—they're not the same thing. Housekeeping is not homemaking. Here's to those who balance the two.

Wright Family said...

I don't have one but I hear that people called Maids have one. I decided if we ever are well enough off that I could have a some come and clean my house once week than I'd be almost in heaven.

¡Vieve! said...

If I had a wand, I would totally sell it to you at a good price...an arm...a leg...your first born...I'm not really picky.

Kellie said...

Thanks for sharing! I was thinking yeah someone else who has days like me! But then I realized you have a good reason and I don't! If you ever do figure out where to get a wand let me know? You are always so good at creating a great home! I am always so impressed with ALL the fun activities you come up with! I think we are too hard on ourselves and I have finally convinced myself that our kids took classes in heaven that help them know how to deal with the days their mom's turn into cleaning nazi's :)

Jodi said...

Amen! I am so glad that I am not the only mom who just gets frustrated sometimes. I can always pictures all the other moms out there humming a hymn when they get upset or baking cookies with the kids on a stressful day. Yeah- it's just not like that at times. I still think you are an amazing mom! I would want one of those wands so I could spend more of my time focusing on Callie. Oh well...

Hot Chocolate said...

I was so pleased to see you and so many others having the same feelings as me. Only I think I have them more often. ...sigh... On those days, why don't you just call me and we'll meet up somewhere with the kids to play and you can leave it all behind for a while.

And Mr. Stallion, you are very nice. The C family is just great, I tell ya.