Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sleeping Together

I was just thinking last night that most of us spend a good twenty years or more of our life sleeping by ourselves. And then suddenly, you get married and it is expected that from now on, you will share your bed with someone else. There is nothing written telling you what to do if your sleeping habits are different than the one next to you. No, it is merely trial and error. Good luck if she sleeps with the fan on in the winter and, oh well if he steals the covers and you can't budge him an inch. These are just things one needs to deal with once you gain a sleeping partner. And what if your co-sleeper is sick...
Tyler was shivering as I went to bed last night and I could tell that he had a raging fever. It perhaps wasn't the first time that I wished we had a guest room. I mean, most people get offended when someone coughs on them, so who is going to willingly crawl into bed next to a sickie and have him/her breathe on them all night. I debated between sleeping on the couch or sleeping on one side all night (facing away from said sickie). I finally opted for the comfort of my own bed; at what cost, I don't know.
I don't really miss sleeping alone. I enjoy the comfort of having someone close by, and I have gotten used to most of Tyler's sleeping quirks. But every once in a while, I could stand sleeping solo.

6 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

I will say, not having ever had been married or anything, I do like sleeping by myself. I guess I can't wrap my head around having to share a bed with someone else!

Chelle! said...

I wonder

Maleen said...

So sad. Tyler read this yesterday and then slept on the couch last night. (sob). I felt so bad. I certainly believe sick people deserve to sleep in their own bed; I was just debating what I should do. Maybe I should keep my big mouth shut.

Wright Family said...

Poor Tyler. I hope he knows he can sleep in your bed tonight.

Wright Family said...

That last comment was made by Kari. I'm putting a blog together for my parents and for some reason it put their name down.

Jodi said...

I'll be honest- I have NEVER contemplated this issue before and we have been married four and a half years! But, now that you bring it up, it is kind of gross to share a bed with a sick person...