Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Mouthful


Sunday evening. We had just returned from the finance class that Tyler is teaching for the ward (along with many wonderful guest speakers). I came home a little early to get kids in bed, so Tyler ran home through the snow because he didn't have a ride. We decided to watch a little Stardust together and I settled in with my usual evening snack--cold cereal. Tyler was standing in the kitchen wheezing a bit from his run in the cold. He mentioned to me, "I really shouldn't run in the snow, I think I have some asthma." To which I replied around a mouthful of froot loops, "You're not in shape."
He just stared at me, with his jaw slightly agape and disbelief in his eyes. Great, I thought, I have seriously offended him. So I tried to backpeddle a little. "You're not fat...you're just not in shape." This time he laughed out loud, and I couldn't decide if I was hurting his feelings or if he had gone crazy.
Apparently, I am not the most articulate while eating and with froot loops in my mouth, the first comment he heard from me was, "You look like sh**." No wonder he was looking at me in shock. It is really not the kind of language I would use, and it would be rather rude to say. Now it was my turn to laugh as I thought of him trying to decide why I would say such a thing.
This certainly isn't the first time we have had miscommunication over a mouthful of cereal (the crunching can really interfere with hearing as well) but I believe the old adage from my mother would save me a lot of trouble--'Don't talk with your mouth full'

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very funny.

Bryan and I end up with miscommunications like that all the time, because I have the bad habit of talking while I am yawning. Drives him crazy! :)

¡Vieve! said...

I want some fruit loops right now. Delicious.

Chelle! said...

I read...I thought...and...pondered some more...

Desmama said...

Oh, my dear. Yeah, I can see how that'd be a miscommunication. Poor husband. I can only imagine his thoughts. Did she really just say that?

Hot Chocolate said...

Ha! That was very funny. I can see it all playing out in my mind and it's even funnier.

Anonymous said...

At least I know something I look better than.