Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Mom is the Coolest

I went to WA at the beginning of this month. As usual, my parents tried to send me home with as much of my junk as possible. The good news is that I'm not so attached to my high school mementos anymore, so most of the time said objects get transported directly to the DI box and don't spend much time cluttering my home.

I found a random box of my mom's note cards amongst my belongings and I opened it today. Inside was a catalogue of every chore imaginable along with the time it takes to do it and how often it should be done. (Seasonal, weekly, daily, etc.) My mom had lists of daily activities, birthdays, menus and card upon card of chores. I couldn't believe how organized she was. (Not that I think she followed through with the chores since they didn't have dates written in, but I don't judge her...just writing all those cards and seeing how much work needed to be done would have made me want to lock myself in a room with a thousand books and never come out.) I should mention that these cards were written back in 1980, so they are not current. She certainly was ambitious back then. She had 'repainting rooms' scheduled as a yearly chore. Wow. I hardly get my walls cleaned, let alone repainted.

I think in the meantime, she has mellowed out. I don't recall her life being swamped with an arsenal of never-ending chores, but it is good to know where I get my organized-listy side.

I do have to share my favorite card though. It was quite random and made me laugh for several minutes. I promise I am not making fun of you mom. (Much.)

Mini-Jobs that can be done while talking on the phone

1. Shave Legs
2. Change Vacuum Filter
3. Mend
4. Polish Shoes
5. Clean Out Purse
6. Clean Telephone
7. Clean Glass on Secretary

Just for the record, if you have ever called and talked to me on the phone, I may have been doing odd jobs, but I was NEVER shaving my legs. Also to be mentioned, I have never seen my mom shave her legs while talking on the phone, but now you all know it is possible.

3 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

I have never ever heard of shaving legs while on the phone. I don't even know how that would be possible.

meganmushrat said...

Oh my goodness, I had completely forgotten about those cards. And you're right - I don't think I ever followed them. I guess just writing them seemed to be enough. However, I'm glad to hear that you are organized. And, just for the record, I don't think I have EVER shaved my legs, on the phone or otherwise.

Nick said...

I'm always amazed how people can come up with lists. The moment I sit down and try, I forget what I was just thinking. Your mom is smart though, I remember her riddles and mind puzzles.

So I know I'm a guy but I've seen my mom, who is an ultimate multiple-tasker, shave her legs and do other things too even though I'm not sure if using the phone was one of them. She used an electric razor.