Thursday, May 5, 2011

Clothes and Shoes

I have five girls. (In case you didn't know.) We have lots of girls' clothes around here. One grows out, the next grows in, and sometimes the clothes don't even have to be packed away waiting for the next little girl to fit into them. Granted, once a piece of clothing has gone through a few little bodies, it gets a little worn, but we have baby clothes that we bought with June that Pearl is wearing now. Impressive, I say.

The thing (or should I say person) that really keeps us in business is Grandma Cazier. Every time a birthday rolls around she takes the birthday girl out shopping. Said child gets new clothes, and not once have we ever had a problem with complaints about hand-me-downs. Sure, the girls get plenty, but since they get new stuff too, no one is put out.

Here's the catch though. Grandma only takes them out until they are 8. She has found that after that age, children tend to develop wants that don't take kindly to the pocketbook. I agree. Well, June is eight. (In case you didn't know.) That is fine, but for the first time, I am keenly aware that as her pants become high enough that she could wade through a flood without getting them wet that there won't be replacement pants around the corner.

What?! I have to buy clothes for my own children? Just kidding, I have obviously bought clothes for my children, but now I will have to be responsible and buy them things they actually need. Blat. Such is life, and I'm good with that too. So tonight when I ended up at this event called Just Between Friends, I made good use of the discounted prices. At first I was just browsing, knowing that I don't really need anything for my girls. And then I pictured June walking out the door this morning in some high-waters that could pass as Capris. (Sure, she had grabbed Robyn's pants, but some of her own were starting to show too much ankle, if you know what I mean.) So, I bought pants...for June. Look at me being all grown up and responsible. Oh, and one jean skirt. Which was her favorite.

I looked at her as she tried it on and I said, "Cute A-line skirt." June replied, "Alien skirt?" Hah.

Grandma took out Pearl and Robyn recently, and got Pearl a whole bunch of shoes, which is good because I had become lazy and was putting her in the easy pink boots all the time. Ivory lived in them. Daisy, not so much because she was born during a different season. But when Pearl was a winter baby too, you better believe that the easy-wear pink boots came back with a vengeance.  So much, that I didn't even have a back-up pair for Pearl. Now, we have a wide selection. I mean, check out these cute jelly shoes.



Adorable eh? Why is everything so cute when it comes in miniature? I put her in some cute pink Keds tennis shoes today, but we quickly found out that it took all of four steps for her right shoe to come off. Every. Time. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Really Pearl doesn't care what she wears. She's not picky yet. But she will get there. They all do. Perhaps she will prefer alien skirts...

2 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I am sooo with you sistah! Occasionally I will stop and be all confused that Haley has nothing to wear until I realize that as the oldest I actually have to BUY her stuff when she grows. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the fashion of capris and 3/4 length sleeves....my 8 and 9 year old have been known to wear a 3T sweater with the perfect length sleeves...

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

Those jellies are adorable! So is the little bum-bum!