Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Who Needs Ridges

I am a little behind in blogger land. I don't even have a good post ready for you. But I feel the need to stay current, so you get something regardless. And actually, what I have to give you is quite fabulous.

Check out these babies:


So tasty. So easy. So mostly guilt free. (Although, really people, I don't have much guilt to begin with when it comes to eating.)


Here is the recipe:


Microwave Potato Chips

Scrub potatoes, leaving skins on and slice potatoes as thinly as possible into even slices. No slice should be more than 1/16 inch thick (less than 1.5mm). Lightly oil a pyrex baking dish with cooking spray and place potato slices in a single layer. You will probably have to cook the potato in batches. Evenly salt or season potatoes as desired. 
Microwave, on high, for 3-6 minutes.
Most batches took me about 4 minutes, but it is best to watch (just like popcorn) to prevent burning.
Remove from dish and repeat with remaining slices until all the potato has been cooked.

I got this recipe quite a while ago. I found the post here which links back to the recipe above (thank you sister of my kindred spirit sister.) I tried it and it was okay because I didn't have a slicer and I can't cut thin, even, potatoes to save my life. But they weren't terrible even with the different thicknesses. BUT...I bought myself this green slicer at Wal-mart for less than $20 that has three slicer settings. I used the thinnest, and Zow Wee Mama. They were perfect!

I got into a groove. We had two pyrex dishes going and we just switched them out every four minutes. I say 'we' because Daisy was helping and she was feeling very helpful. Although please watch little fingers when you are putting potato slices into the dish that just came out of the microwave, because it is HOT! We could have done a billion, but sadly, my old microwave is good for about five batches (20 minutes) and then it is done. Like, turns itself off for about an hour, done. That is not helpful for the potatoes that are already sliced and ready to go. (Or for a lasagna for that matter. I haven't cooked a lasagna in the microwave for about a decade, but don't they take about thirty minutes?) Anyway, we did two different shifts of chips, with microwave giving out each time, but we ate every chip we made. They were great.


So, if your microwave is not as old as your marriage, like mine is, I recommend you try these.

4 comments:

Scott and Svetlana said...

That's sounds very yummy! I wish I've read your post this morning or something, so I wouldn't by a bag of potato chips for 3.50 (holy moly)...

Emma Jo said...

I am all over that. Yum.

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

I'll have to try that, thanks!

¡Vieve! said...

Those look crazy delicious!