Monday, January 9, 2012

Book Review 2011

I like to read and my book group keeps me going. I am at a sad busy time in my life where if I didn't read because I was required to, I might not find time to read at all.

Funny, I just wrote that and then I went back and checked how many books I read last year. I thought it would be around 12, since that is what was planned, but it turned out I managed to fit in 20. Go me! Most of those extra ones were pre large calling, and young adult fiction, but it gives me hope that maybe I do find time to read after all.

I am terrible about things like goodreads where you write reviews. Since in my mind I don't have time to read, I hardly have time to write reviews, but if everyone were as lame as me, we would never be able to read all the cool book reviews out there. (Hypocrisy at its best.)

But I did see one lady who posted all the books that she read and then listed her top 5. I think I want to do that too. So, here is my list of literary reading accomplishments for 2011. (Not listed in the order I read them.)


















And here are my:

TOP 5 PICKS

5. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier: I feel odd putting this one in here because I was snoring through the first half of the book. Really. Boring. Very. But...I liked the twist at the end enough that I might even read it again someday. And I certainly recommend it. Especially to those who can skim-read the first half of a book.

4. Your Happily Ever After by Dieter F. Uchtdorf: I don't know if you can call this a book, because it is really a Conference talk with a binding. But the truths in there are still great to hear. I actually should read more books by General Authorities. They tend to be very uplifting.

3. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale: Gotta love a good fairy tale. This one was a fun read.

2. The Cardturner by Louis Sachar: I should have guessed I would enjoy this, since I absolutely LOVE Holes, but this is a book about a card game. Boring, right? Hardly. Who even knew Bridge could be so enthralling. Yes, I like to play cards. No, I don't know how to play Bridge. But I really want to learn now.

And my favorite book of this last year.

1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: This book was beautiful and touching. I feel like so many Holocaust books leave you feeling very depressed and perhaps angry or disgusted. This book portrays the tragedy and loss while still letting you revel in the character development and plot. It is written from the unique perspective of Death. I would go read it again, but I loaned out my copy and haven't seen it since. Apparently someone else liked it too.

5 comments:

Aubry Macbean said...

Ha so I have read three out of the five. I should have read "the book thief" but never got around to it. I am pretty sure I have Deannes' copy. I guess I should make sure, read it and get it back to her.

Scott and Svetlana said...

oh, I wish I liked reading. I enjoy reading blogs and short stories like tutorials but when it comes to books, I honestly get really discouraged. :( maybe someday it will change.

Bugers n' Gelato said...

I love your blog idea of the book list! I think I will steal it :) And will also have to check out the Book Thief!

¡Vieve! said...

Those are some really good books you read! You should watch the movie Rebecca, it's really good too. And the Book Thief...amazing. And Jasper Fforde is so great, I hope you finish out the Thursday Next series, and do his other ones!

Cindy B said...

Lots of great books on here! I am also a fan of Jasper Fforde. He is so different from everything else. Now I have a few new books to add to my TBR list!