Monday, August 13, 2007

Day 1

I am so sorry about my slow blogging, but I should be catching up quickly. Stayed tuned for more posts...

Driving with children doesn't have to be impossible. I certainly would prefer to have only children 3 years and older but that wasn't really an option. But I had prepared with maps, games, coloring books, movies, stories and treat bags. And if we caught Ivory at nap time we had at least two hours reprieve. I had ideas about stopping at the Salt flats to take pictures but the car was quiet with sleeping children as I drove through and I figured I would leave well enough alone.




We stopped for the night in the 50s. I kid you not. I felt like our hotel was something right out of the past. Then again, we stopped in Winnemucca (I don't think I was expecting much). It was one level, with green trim and the picture says most of the story.




We ate dinner in the hotel and I think the girls thought it was a grand adventure. I learned a valuable lesson that night. There is no rule that says that you can't sleep with your husband just because your kids don't get along. Tyler and I split up the girls the first night and we hardly slept at all. The girls tend to twitch, kick, roll, squirm, and do just about anything but allow you to rest. Consequently, the girls now take turns sleeping on the floor and Tyler and I share a bed (for all those who think this may be harsh, it always seems the person on the floor sleeps better--go figure ).




All in all, we had a great time the first day. We had some great moments that will stay with us a while. Naturally when you are driving with air conditioning on, and kids talking, and general road noise, you can't always understand each other. We were following a large truck carrying pipes and I was interested in the patterns they made from our angle. I said to Tyler, "It is like we are following a beehive and the pipes are honeycomb." Tyler responded, "Yeah, except that they aren't Mexicans." I sat there for a while trying to figure out what Mexicans had to do with it. I never figured it out, so I finally asked and Tyler just laughed and laughed. He said, "I said, they aren't hexigons." Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. It was only a hour later when Tyler asked if I brought shampoo and I answered, "Well, I think she has gas, but you can check the baby's diaper. He just laughed and said, "SHAMpoo" It is important not to take anything personally while driving, you never know what the other might REALLY have said.

7 comments:

Ker said...

OK- cant wait for the rest of the journal entries. This is a great story with comic relief, AND I can just imagine traveling with 3 children (as I do it often)-but what a riot to travel with that "ragin Stallion". OMG-waiting for chapter 2

Wright Family said...

I'm glad you are able to have fun and make some good memories. My Tyler and I have that problem when we aren't even in a car with kids, air conditioning on. Though it has to do with our phone, but you know that. Have fun but not too much because than I'd be really jealous.

Eric said...

Maleen, call me! 787-1491. Your keys don't work and I am trying to find a way to get ahold of you cause we can't get into your house to feed your fish and i don't want your girls to come home to a dead fish. I hope you check this soon!~Camille

Kellie said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Plus I'm wondering how your fish are! Are they okay?

Maleen said...

Camille, please don't feel bad. I can't imagine that he is still alive but miracles can happen. I left you a message. Sorry for not checking in earlier. I am so lame. I'll call you again tomorrow.

Deanne said...

So funny! Thanks for the laugh. I needed it this morning. Mexican honeycomb, gassy shampoo...these are memories that will last forever. I'm glad you're having fun. I'm slightly jealous that you got to spend the night in another decade. How cool is that?

Anonymous said...

You told Mark and I those stories on Sunday when you were here, but I had to laugh out loud again!!! Too funny :)