Thursday, November 7, 2019

Bear Lake

Let's talk about Bear Lake. It is not too far away from us. I've heard people talk about it for years, but we have never gone. This year, Daisy was supposed to go to Clear Creek camp like her sisters did previously, but they changed the way they were doing things, and I wasn't very impressed. I didn't want to send Daisy, but I gave her the option...Clear Creek or Family Camping Trip. She didn't bat an eye. She wanted to do a family camping trip. Which meant I needed to hold up my end of the bargain and plan one. Bear Lake popped into my brain and I thought we might as well try it out.

Finding a time we all could go was tricky, what with Marching Band, June and Robyn working and Tyler's vacation days (which he didn't have many left). We ended up only having one full day to spend there. We left on a Sunday afternoon and came back on a Tuesday morning, but we made the most of our time there. We also invited Ember to come along. She is like family and it gave Ivory a buddy.

On Sunday, I woke up and started cooking right away. I got the muffins done the night before, so I made the macaroni bowls. It was a recipe I got online and I was hoping they would work nicely on the grill. Also, all my kids will eat macaroni. I also put together roast beef sandwiches for Sunday's dinner and basically got all the food ready for the entire trip.

We had the art show after church which ran a little long. When everyone finally left, we made an effort to pack the car with purpose. We had so much to pack. Somewhere along the way, we realized that there just wasn’t quite enough room. I suggested two cars, which is kind of lame, but very needed in this case and since it wasn’t a really long drive, it made sense. Then we all fit fine. The kids named the Thule case, ‘the coffin’. It fits and that is what we call it. That thing holds a lot of stuff which is really nice. Robyn decided to drive with Dad so he would have some company.

Tyler and Robyn went to DHI first to get ice, so we were ahead, but we had some problems. The drive was fine until we reached Wyoming. When we entered, Ember needed to use the bathroom, but when we turned off the car, our internet died. We were out of range. So we just had to guess where to go. We had just enough of the map on the car console to see that we were headed the wrong way. We were going farther into Wyoming instead of Utah. So we turned around and with some awesome navigating from June, we made it onto the right road. We got all the way to Laketown and then took another wrong turn. That cost us precious time, and it was frustrating because we couldn’t call Tyler because we had no service. June’s phone was better and would sometimes get through. But most of the time we were just guessing which way to go.

Finally we made it, although they beat us there. Then we had another problem because we weren’t on the list of reserved cabins. We went to the office, but it was closed. I didn’t know what to do. We finally banged on the back of the office until someone came out. (I guess they live there.) They told us we were cabin 3 and sent us on our way. The cabins were only a stones throw from the beach. I think our beach was a little twiggier than the main beach, but it was still beautiful and very close. Our cabin was very nice. It was two rooms with a big bed in the main area and two bunk beds in the back. We put our sheets on since we decided to bring our own bedding. It costs a little less if you bring your own.



No bathrooms inside, but there were bathrooms not far from the cabin. And if you were really lucky, you would see someone walking their horse out there.


Outside, we oohed and aahed over the swallow nest right above the cabin door. The baby swallows were so cute. I think there were three, but you could usually only see two. We named them George and Horace. The mom and dad swallow were busy night and day flying back and forth to feed those babies.


Dinner was good. We ate at the picnic table in front of the cabin.


The girls also went to play in the water. Can’t keep them out if it’s nearby, but no one got too wet. It was so beautiful.


As it got late, we played games. We started with Snake Oil and that was really fun. I had some good products that won a couple cards. I think my favorite was selling the corpse whistle to the Zombie. (Not mine, but very appropriate.) We also played Catch Phrase and that was fun. Pearl has never played and you could tell it stressed her out, but she wasn’t too bad. I’m glad she tried new things.



Some people looked at the stars and then we all headed to bed. Big day coming up but we made it to Bear Lake. Most of the girls slept in the bunks with Pearl and Daisy sharing a bed. And then Robyn had a cot up next to us. It was a snug fit in the cabin, but it was made for 8 people.


 We woke up ready to play play play. Bear Lake day! Everyone seemed to sleep okay. We got up around 8 and some people headed straight to the water. Tyler was gone already. He had to drive out to Logan to drop off his kidney sample so he left early. That meant that I was in charge of getting the boards pumped up. It wasn’t too bad. I didn’t fill them quite enough so we pumped them up more later, but I didn’t want to overfill them. It was so kind of Camille and Eric to loan us the boards and life jackets. It made me want to actually get some for us. We could drive up to Bear Lake for the day and play and then come home. I’m not sure I would want to get a cabin every time.



Down at the water, we found a nice beach area and set up shop. There were so many cool exploring areas. Daisy and Pearl found all these neat places. They found the rocky shoal, where people did a lot of rock skipping later. It looks like they are standing out in the water, but it was very shallow there. It was actually not too deep very far out. You could walk out quite a ways without having the water be over your head.



There was a place where water flowed out and next to it was the Shell Shore. There was a section where it was all just tiny shells piled on each other. We came back and gathered them in water bottles later. We’ll have to do a craft sometime. I didn't get a picture of the beach, but here are what the tiny shells looked like.


Ember and Ivory spent a lot of time on the paddle boards. Basically the whole day. We don't have a lot of pictures of them because they were always out on a board. I went out with the kids too. The water was quite chilly but not freezing. Once you got used to it, it was almost nice in the morning. By afternoon, it was actually quite nice. When I got dunked later, it almost felt better in the water, because the wind would make you colder when you came out. Here are the two peas in a pod relaxing on the beach between paddle board trips.


We played down by the water all morning. We played some spikeball as well. It is really fun to play with Tyler and Robyn, but I know they don’t like it as much. Robyn couldn’t stand the pokey ground. She was always clearing the spot she was standing in only to have to move to another spot. :)

The girls built sand castles with moats and then swamped them. I love the picture of Daisy pouring the water.



The whole morning was playing in the water, on the beach, and plenty of relaxing. That is what you are supposed to do on a lake day.






It was such a gorgeous day. I'm not sure we could have asked for better weather. We spent some time covering people in sand. That seems to be a requirement.



Granny V was planning on joining us. She had a few directional issues like we did and she didn't get down to us until lunch time, so we decided to meet her in town. We drove out to Garden City to meet her. It is only 15 minutes away. Beth had told us to try Zipz, so we did. I loved it. The atmosphere was so great. The decor was fantastic with boats you can sit in and tables all over. There were shark heads, mermaid and pirate restroom signs, and water skis lined all around the edges of the property.




The food wasn’t bad either. I had a chicken sandwich and a raspberry shake. They are right next door to LaBeau's which advertises "World Famous Shakes" so Zipz advertizes their“Least Famous Shakes” That's funny. They had a cut out in the back and we all took turns. Here are my favorite.






After lunch, we brought our collected Granny out to the beach with us. We spent the afternoon enjoying the water and hanging out. Naturally there was more paddle boards and spikeball. It was just a nice relaxing time. Sadly, Granny V couldn’t stay very long. She had to get back to her puppy. She left as we brought all our gear back to the cabin. We sure love her and I’m glad she came even for a few hours.



Pearl spent some time in the sand and doing her front handsprings. That is something none of the rest of us will be doing.



Back at the cabin, we made dinner. Well, Tyler made it. It took him a bit to get the charcoal going, but he did. I put all the cobbler together and then he cooked everything. He heated up the macaroni bowls. They turned out pretty good, maybe a bit too cheesy. And the cobbler was freaking amazing. I would make that again any time. It disappeared rapidly.



The evening was more games. We played Unstable Unicorns (June won). We played lots of Bang Dice. June and Ivory were good every time, but outlaws won once. I think I was 2 for 3. Poor Ember was the renegade twice in a row. That is bad luck.

Eventually we all sacked out knowing that most people planned on getting up at 4 to view the stars. Brave folk. I planned to sleep since I had to drive in the morning however I was still awakened by the end since everyone was pretty loud coming back in. But that was okay since I needed to go to the bathroom and look at the maps with Tyler. I basically was trying to memorize them so I could travel without GPS. Silly little device, but essential and very annoying when there is no internet.

Then Tyler and Daisy left and the rest of us slept a little longer. We all got up around 7:30. I worried that a bear might come because we left some food on the table, but the only thing it brought was a flock of magpies. Nasty birds. The swallows hid from them. (My sweet swallows. I am going to miss them.)

We basically packed up the car and left. The banana muffins were pretty good and go-go squeeze is easy to eat. Packing went rather quickly and it was a good thing Tyler took all the boards. The coffin is really nice for packing extra stuff but it all fit even better without the paddle boards. Everyone had different chores to attend to. Ember was helping take empty water bottles out to the garbage. Apparently, it is easiest to put them under your sweatshirt and maybe use lids as glasses. Why not? She is such a funny duck. I'm so glad she came with us.


I'm not sure when this selfie was taken, but I love it. Goodbye Bear Lake. We had a great time. We'll see you again for sure.


There are basically two ways to get to Bear Lake. We had done the Wyoming way on the way there, but we decided to try the other way out in hopes of getting internet sooner. The roads are so different. Coming in, it was basically flat. But we took the mountain out. Windy and steep. Sadly, it was too much for Pearl. I didn’t realize she gets car sickness until this trip. From the back I hear, “I don’t feel good.” I sent Ivory scrambling around for a bag to give to Pearl. Then about ten minutes later, “I threw up.” Poor girl. That is such an awful feeling. Luckily, we were close to Logan. It was only 37 miles from the lake. So we pulled over at a store and all went inside to go to the bathroom and clean up. Pearl was feeling a little better and the roads from there out were much straighter. And we got internet back in Logan. So we had internet for much more of the trip, but I’m not sure it was worth it for Pearl. :(

Overall, Bear Lake was totally worth it. We were in and out in a flash, but we did our family camping trip, if you count a cabin as camping, which I totally do. If you use a dutch oven, I'm pretty sure it is officially camping. And for the record, this was Maude's first road trip. (Maude is the van.) She did great and no kids ate in the car and they survived. Who knew?

I sure love my family. They are keepers.

No comments: