Saturday, November 23, 2019

Tie-Dye

Tie-dying has changed a lot since I was a kid. I remember buckets of hot water and some kind of chemical. Now, you just squirt dye on a shirt. Or, you can even spray color. It doesn't get much easier than that. Although the results are different. Robyn signed me up to instruct the youth in a tie-dying activity. I am not an expert at all, but I was able to buy supplies and give them a basic tutorial. The kids actually listened very well. And the weather was perfect which is nice because it is definitely an outdoor activity.



After instructions, we set the kids free to do their own thing. One table was the spray tie-dye...



...and the other was squirt.




The squirt stuff is a bit messier and there is more of a process. You are supposed to wrap it in saran wrap overnight and then rinse it out and wash it. With the spray, you just have to heat set it in the dryer and then it is good to go. The best part is seeing all the different looks. Everyone had a different idea in mind.









June had to work that night, so I made one for her. There weren't a lot of color choices by the time I got there. So, you get what you get.



It was a bit messy, but everyone seemed to have a good time and we went through so much dye. We basically used everything. Even the leaders got into the activity and made shirts. I wish I had taken a picture of Mahonri's marshmello shirt. 



Ivory did spray and Robyn did squirt. I like them all. And despite cost, I think this was a really fun activity for the youth.




I wonder what Robyn will sign me up for next?

1 comment:

Megan Dargan said...

That looks extremely messy. Do they actually wear those shirts in public?