Saturday, December 13, 2008

Muddy Balls

My father's grandmother was named Muddy. This endearing term came from her young children who had trouble saying Mommy, and it stuck on her. I obviously never knew her, but there is one thing she has passed on that I will remember forever and that is...Muddy balls.
Muddy balls are the name of the handmade Christmas ornaments that she made. They are all spherical decorated in fabric, ribbon, and interesting beads. I think they are beautiful and it was always my favorite part when we got the Muddy balls out to go on the tree. In fact, I'm telling my siblings now, I totally claim the Muddy balls.
I have always wondered how exactly they were made and I even wanted to try some myself. Needless to say, when June chose making ornaments as one of her holiday activities, I could only see Muddy balls in my mind. So, I pulled out all my extra fabric and let each person choose some. We got styrofoam balls and covered them in the fabric and then added whatever was handy. They are not true Muddy balls because I do not have her talent yet and I sure wish I had one handy to look at (they are all in WA), but I was proud of our effort. Here they are in all their glory.



The picture is a bit blurry, but the individual ones are better. They are shown in birth order (yes, that crazy pinkish one is Tyler's).



Muddy never knew she was leaving such a legacy, but we are sure happy she did.

3 comments:

meganmushrat said...

Yes, the Muddy balls have always been a very special part of our Christmas tree. I don't think Tim has the emotional attachment to them that you have, but you might have to fight with Miranda a bit. Of course, if we're gone she'll probably move in with you anyway, and you won't have to worry about it (ha, ha). Maybe I'll take some pictures and post my own blog about Muddy balls.

Tim Dargan said...

All of your kids are very artistic. I never even knew that we had muddy balls.

¡Vieve! said...

I'm pretty sure your kids can decorate things better than I can! Cute ones!