Monday, December 1, 2008

Turkey Day and Other News

Ha, I'm back. I know you all missed me and were surprised that I could actually refrain from blogging for so many days. My mom even told me that I needed to post again as she was sick of looking at my pie :p
So here are the highs and lows from my weekend in Idaho.

High: It was Turkey Day and Ty's family can really hustle up the grub. I enjoyed every minute of turkey goodness.

Low: Tyler's parents decided to have pie for breakfast which seemed like a good idea except that we had just had Pie Night. So, I must say that I have had enough pie for the year. So bring on the Christmas sugar cookies.

High: My mother-in-law is a strong advocate of Black Friday. We (mil, me and sil's) were up at the unseemly hour of 3 am. That may sound terrible, but we did awesome this year. We are quite the team getting items for each other and saving places in line. We were in and out of Kohl's in less than half an hour, meaning we were able to go stand in another line for a store that opened at 5 am, and I was able to buy myself two pairs of knee high boots for $3o dollars when they are normally $70 each. Ah, the glory of a good sale.

Low: Um, I spent too much. Tyler has Quicken and tracks every dime I spend. I sense another 'talk' coming on.

High: I got to take a nice long nap on Saturday morning.

Low: That is because I was throwing up with diarrhea all the previous night. Something I ate didn't agree with me and came back with a vengeance. I'm very proud of myself though; I didn't wake Tyler up during the ordeal. I even found all my mother-in-law's cleaning supplies in the middle of the night so I could clean the floor (I may have missed the garbage can once when I threw up). I only woke him briefly to tell him that I was sleeping on the bathroom floor and to bring the baby to me when she woke up. It was really a miserable night.

High: The kids had a blast playing with their cousins. They love Grandma's house and all the dress up stuff and toys she has.

Low: Holy cow, they dragged toys all over the house. I felt I had to clean every single room before we left because there was something there that didn't belong.

High: We took the dog along and everyone loved her.

Low: She followed me around everywhere (like usual) and interrupted one attempted nap (grrr.) I still need to post my feelings about the animal. Stay tuned for my version of Moxy.

High: I got to attend Relief Society for the first time in ages.

Low: It wasn't really Relief Society because it was the fifth Sunday.

High: Even better I got to sit with Tyler because we were all combined.

Low: They have no nursery in their ward so we had two kids with us. I entertained Ivory and Tyler walked with Daisy, so we didn't really sit by each other.

High: There was no SNOW yet, so the drive was great both ways. This is truly nice, it seems there is always snow this time of year in Idaho.

Low: It was a little hectic getting under way on Wednesday. I refused to cook because I had just cleaned the kitchen and I didn't want to come back to dirty dishes so we stopped by Wal-mart to grab something from the deli. Tyler bustled around handing out corn-dogs and popcorn chicken while I fed the baby. We eventually got mostly settled and realized we didn't have any napkins so I made the short drive over to the nearby McDonald's. As we were pulling in, Ivory said, "Is this Idaho?"She is so funny.
Other than that, it really wasn't bad. The kids slept both ways and except for one peeing in the car on the way home (I won't name names), it was a breeze. Plus, I love getting eight hours to talk to Tyler. He really makes me laugh.

So there was my weekend. I wasn't thrilled to come home to December. That meant instant decorating and trimming of tree so we don't lose a second of Christmas wonder in the house. I am proud to say that my house is decorated, my kids are almost asleep (okay, that's a stretch, I can still hear them giggling), and I even had time to blog. It was a good day.
Granted, my neighbor gifts are not quite finished and there were supposed to be delivered before Thanksgiving and I haven't mailed my nephew's birthday gift and his birthday is on Wednesday, but I never claimed to be perfect (actually I think I have claimed that, but I am sure you all saw through that).

High: Tyler claims to be perfect.

Low: He has a song to go with it.

8 comments:

Kayla said...

Sounds like you guys had a pretty fun holiday. And...I am totally like Ivory. Seriously we would go a few blocks and stop to fill the car up with gas before leaving on vacation and I was asking if we were already there. Drives seem so long when you're little! =D

meganmushrat said...

What a delight to read about your Thanksgiving - sounds much more exciting than ours. Although I think it would be more of a challenge if you had to do a gluten-free Thanksgiving like we did. I do feel a twinge of jealousy that the girls get to play at Grandma's house, as they don't get to come here very often. But I'm glad they're getting to know their cousins. I really look forward to seeing everybody in January.

Tim Dargan said...

Moxy huh- I cant wait to see the profile.

Cindy B said...

Glad you're back and you had a good time. Nice job on the sales, but I will admit I opted out this year. Hope your tummy bug is gone and no one else gets it. Will has either strep throat or mono. Maybe both.

Wright Family said...

I will have you know you missed on Sunday. The nursery leaders can tell when you are gone, things don't go as smoothly. Which is compliment to you that you do a great job. Sounds like over all your trip was good.

K Cazier said...

Maleen, I am sooo glad that you come to Idaho for Thanksgiving every year!!! I have so much fun with you! I am glad that your weekend was full of 'highs' (I won't mention the lows). I can't wait to see you for Christmas!

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

Good job on the Black Friday shopping. I want some boots too. I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

¡Vieve! said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Thank goodness you had some highs to balance out the lows!