Sunday, December 7, 2008

Weekend Festvities

On Friday night we went to the Festival of Trees. I knew that we went last year and I was looking back to see if I could find pictures. It turns out that I was being lazy and I just posted a link to a friend's blog. Note to self: not the best idea if you want pictures later. Oops. But not this year. I have some pictures of my own. Not many, mind you, but a couple to get the feel of the evening. It was crazy crowded, but we managed to have a great time. In our case, less was more. We started by looking for a tree decorated by a friend (one of these days I hope we can decorate one ourselves). We found it quickly thanks to some previous directions (I think it looked awesome Vieve, and sorry we didn't get the camera out until we were leaving).

Then we looked at a few of the bigger trees as we headed toward the stage; Tyler likes to watch the dancing. (Tyler interjects that the reasons he likes the dancing are: 1- Chairs. 2- Music. 3- Some of them are actually talented.) While he watched I took one child at a time over to the Small Fry area where they have things priced for a child's budget. I am very proud of June's choice; she got a little calendar with blank pictures for her to color in. She has already drawn something for each month and she is excited to display it in her room. I guess I was proud because she opted for the calendar over candy (a true sign that she is growing up).

Tyler took the girls down and got some *amazingly* reasonably priced scones and cinnamon rolls, which we ate while we watched more dancing. I would have been happy to walk around looking at trees for hours; but when you bring kids you usually cater to their schedule. I did take a peek at all the Gingerbread houses and that may be my new favorite part. It is amazing what people can do with food. And that is really the extent of our trip.

Like I said, I didn't get the camera out until the end so I actually made Tyler go back inside to get these two shots. Check out this Candyland, amazing huh?



And then I really liked this one done for the poem The Highwayman.



That has always been one of my favorite poems and I felt special when someone said, "The Highwayman? What does that mean?" Okay, I might have felt a tad smug knowing about the poem (although I couldn't have told you who wrote it).

Then we packed up and left. Just like that. We had to use the GPS to find our car because Tyler parked it. We didn't really see that much and yet, we had an excellent time. I guess it was just nice to be with our family. Daisy was adorable—as always—in her little sling and many people had to stop looking at trees and admire her for a moment. We managed to get a family picture as we were leaving (this is when I remembered to take the camera out—awesome huh?).



Saturday night we attended a reception for June's teacher. She officially changed over from Miss Feik to Mrs. Mitchell. June tells me that some children at school are having trouble making the transition (I do not doubt this since I find myself wondering what to call her). She looked beautiful in her wedding dress.



We saw several friends at the reception, and then we headed home. It was a fun, but tiring weekend. Ivory keeps falling asleep since we don't always get her a nap.



That last one was actually in Idaho, when we put her in "time-out" long enough for her to realize she was sleepy.

5 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

Woo, busy weekend! Sounds like fun though!

Cindy B said...

Oh, I love the Candyland one! That is so cute and so much fun! My kids would have loved that when they were little.

The Simpson Times said...

Sounds like a great weekend you guys had. I would love to go to Festival of Trees some time! That Candyland one is very cute.
That is funny Ivory fell asleep in "time-out"...Mark put Bryan in "time-out" at our friends ward about a month ago...in the janitors room and he ended up falling asleep and taking a 1 1/2 hour nap in there! Mark wasn't able to go to any classes, but Bryan got his nap! Too cute!

Stacey said...

I totally forgot about the festival of trees I think I am going to have to take andy since he LOVES christmas trees. Also I love the pictures of Ivory sleeping. How cute!

Rynell said...

my daughter danced on friday there. i'll have to post photos soon.