Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Stockings Were Hung...



As a child, I loved my stocking almost as much as I loved the gifts under the tree. It was also the one thing we could open before breakfast. My mother stuffed everyone's stocking, including her own and it wasn't until I was older that I found out that she just acted surprised when she pulled stuff out of her stocking. One year, we got her a humongous stocking and filled the whole thing for her, but in general, she was on her own. I'm not going to blame my dad, but come on...you couldn't manage to fill a sock with small gifts once a year?

Now fast forward to my present stocking experience. I do all the stuffing, naturally. Tyler has been fairly good about doing a stocking for me, but I can tell it is not his favorite thing. He tends to forget until the last minute and then scramble around for gifts to relieve the guilt. I don't feel this is what the season is about, but I am not about to stuff my own stocking and look surprised (sorry mom). So I have devised a new solution. Here is my new stocking:



Not bad, eh? I asked Tyler to put a gift card in it. Simply one gift card. He can purchase one at a different store each year and then I can go and get something I like. It still has the element of surprise, but all parties are satisfied in the end. It is genius I tell you. I think I am going to enjoy opening my stocking from now on, although I will miss the orange in the toe.

4 comments:

Wright Family said...

So does Tyler have stocking? Do you put all the same stuff in it that you put in the girls? If so than is it not that big of surprise for him? I like gift card idea. I might try that next year.

meganmushrat said...

I hate to admit it, but we aren't doing stockings this year. What with the weather, it totally slipped my mind, and I refuse to run out and get a whole bunch of expensive things at the last minute. However, we WILL be having our gift exchange game, which is almost the same thing (although it doesn't have the same impact). By the way, it wasn't an orange - it was a tangerine.

Tim Dargan said...

No stockings for us this year- of course I uasually dont get anything good in them anyways.

¡Vieve! said...

I love stockings! We didn't start doing them until three years ago, and I wish I had had them as a young kid. And of course, the orange always in the toe!