Friday, December 12, 2008

No Time Like the Present

I've been thinking about this post for a while and it is probably fitting that I keep putting it off.
I've decided that I should just do things when I think about them. Period. When I don't, I am only hurting myself. After all, there is only me to clean up after my own stupidity. Classic example: Last year, I think June knocked over the Christmas tree. It was after Christmas, so it was time to put the tree away anyway, but in the crash the tree stand broke. Now, I should have bought another one pronto (I thought about it), but instead I decided, 'Oh, I won't need one until next year.'
So, when I pulled out the tree this year, I thought, 'Idiot, why didn't I buy one last year? Now I have to stop what I am doing to go find one and hope I can find something that works because I want to put up the tree today.'
I am so mean to my future self. I am constantly doing things to drive her crazy. Like not watering the plants because I am too busy, and then she sits there with wilting vegetation all around her wondering what happened to the plants.
At Thanksgiving time, I was supposed to put some chicken in the freezer (which would have taken like 20 seconds) but instead I put it off and realized somewhere in Idaho that I had a whole cut up chicken in Utah that wasn't going to be good by the time I got back (Arrggg!).
I could save myself so much frustration by just doing things when they occur to me. The most common one is thinking of something I need at the store and NOT writing it down because I will remember it later. I never do. And then I remember it the next week and think, 'I should write it down but since I remembered it right now, I will remember it again.' I don't. You think I would learn from this. But, I don't.
Even as I write this I am irked because Ivory keeps asking for tissue. All the tissue is downstairs. My past self was supposed to bring some up last night when she thought of it, but instead now I am in charge of doing her undone tasks.
These are just a few examples of the myriad of times I have sabotaged my self. I am truly my own worst enemy in many ways.
The moral is: There is no time like the present. As Nike and President Kimball said, "Do it." I really need to take this advice to heart.

p.s. I was able to find a tree stand on short notice, and to convert this post into a lovely Christmas themed one, here is a picture. We have a very simple tree. Someday I will get the matching ornaments, but for now we are happy with the hodge-podge.



Oh, and looking at this picture, I am thinking that the strand of lights that I bought to replace the broken one (notice the lack of lights at the bottom of the tree) is still in my car. *Sigh* another thing I didn't do when I was thinking about it. Don't plan for those to get on the tree this year.

7 comments:

Heather A said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does things like that. Also, I love the hodge-podge tree. A tree with uniform decoration just looks a little too perfect, especially when you have kids. Good luck!

Alissa said...

frankly, hodge podge is the only way to go.

now, i hope after typing this you went and got the lights from your car and tissues from downstairs.

Stacey said...

It is so nice to know that the things I think are only my problems, other people have too. I have the exact same issue and yet no matter how hard I "try" it never gets better : )

meganmushrat said...

I have been trying to copy my supervisor. I have noticed when I am talking with him, when an issue is raised that needs to be addressed, he either does it immediately, or writes himself a note (again - immediately) so that he will get it done. Of course my problem is that I have lots and lots of little notes around that list things that need to be done, but haven't! Dad calls them my "messy little reminder notes".

Maleen said...

The tissues have been gotten and distributed through the upstairs bathrooms. The lights, alas, are still in the car.

Stacy said...

I too have an unhealthy relationship with my past self, but it is really my future self and past self that don't get along. As my present self, I am always trying to be the mediator, but it's no use, I feel like I am just talking to myself, you know?

¡Vieve! said...

I am totally with you in this-I never remember anything! Your tree is so cute though!