Monday, July 11, 2011

Not Quite the End of the Road

So Disneyland was over, but we were still a good 16 hours away from final destination. There was no good way around it, so we got up early, left, and drove like mad for Idaho Falls, and the two children we almost forgot we had for a week.

There isn't much to tell actually, because I was doing this most of the trip.


I was such a traitor. I drove much of the way to Anaheim, and Tyler dozed off and on, but I feel like in the final leg, I wasn't there for him at all. I would sleep, get up, talk for a bit, and then slump over unconscious again. I think I was trying to recharge after the three-day sprint. (I actually didn't feel like myself until almost Tuesday, three days later.)

I'm not sure what Tyler did to keep himself awake (beside drink Rockstars) but I know he was enjoying the scenery. One of the times I was awakened because he stopped to take pictures of Joshua trees. He had been watching them for miles and finally decided to stop to capture a photo.



I saw a lizard run across the road while he was gone. Truly exciting times.

My favorite moment was while the girls were playing some make believe game, I turned around to see Ivory 'sleeping'. I asked her if she was sleeping, and she opened her eyes just a slit and gave this knowing little shake of her head as if to say, No mom, I'm just pretending, but don't let anyone know. I don't know why it struck me as so funny, but she seemed much older for just a minute.


And if I haven't mentioned how fabulous the girls were in the car, I will again here. Which is nice to think back on, because they have all been little devils since we got back. Okay, maybe not that bad, but certainly little stinkers often. Good thing I have all these pictures to remind me that they can be well behaved when they feel like it. Or maybe I just slept through the bad parts.

The trip was hot, but we sailed through in our air conditioned vehicle. In Vegas when we stopped for gas, Tyler asked me how hot I thought it was. I didn't want to sound like a wuss, so I said, "It's probably almost 99 degrees." He thought it was around 95. When we turned the car on, the thermometer read 115 degrees, which is probably a few degrees off, but definitely a scorcher.

Eventually we made it to Idaho, and fell asleep anticipating a happy reunion in the morning.

3 comments:

Emma Jo said...

What a fun trip...I even like the part about the kids being good in the car and the Mom sleeping. Good times, good times.

meganmushrat said...

It's hard to believe it's all over - and sometimes even harder to believe that it ever happened. Lucky you - you have finished blogging your trip, but I'm only on day 5 with another 10 days to go! Reading your blogs brings it all back to me, and they are such great memories. Thank you and your family for making this one of the best vacations we have ever had.

Tim Dargan said...

I like the part where Ivory nods her head... that WAS Ivory right?