Saturday, July 30, 2011

Three River Crossings: The End of the Trek

After lunch on Saturday, we were headed back towards camp.

I love the sky in this picture
Vineyard 2nd trekkers, or is that trekkies?

However, there were several rivers we needed to cross to get there. I really believe the feelings that attended these crossings were so different than the last. Firstly, we weren't supervised. Before, there were people standing by and a rope. This time, it was good luck and try not to lose any children. Secondly, we were allowed to make noise. It wasn't like we were out there yelling up a storm, but there was much frivolity with each crossing. At the end, the children and adults played in the water a bit before we hiked the short distance to camp. There was so much camaraderie, and trust. Men helped wherever they were needed and friend assisted friend. I noticed this even with the young boys. We encountered a large puddle of mud.

Very large mud puddle

Like the sky and the little boys on the fence here

I think it was Christian Fairbanks who just scooped June up and carried her across.

Go Christian

This was common between everyone this second day. We needed to rely on each other.

So we came to our first river.

Assessing the descent

Pioneer Moms always on watch

The drop was surprising.

Tyler may have ripped his pants on a cart

It took a little extra strength from the men to balance the carts, but they did a good job.

Happy Riders
Check out the caked mud on the wheels (by the way, none of our carts broke down, ever)

Then they would haul those babies across the river; sometimes at surprising speeds. I believe Eni and Scott are laughing here because the bishop didn't realize the cart was going so fast and he took a quick bath and almost got run over.

I think they are laughing with him...maybe

Darren W. Jake F. Scott R.

Ease that cart down

Like I said, it was a fun time. And the kids were doing well.

Slightly puffy-faced Robyn

Energetic June

Sleepy Daisy

Ives kept Pearl company. I think Pearl was talking to her.

June actually walked most of the time. She even let me hold her hand.

Aaahhh

The second river was even easier to cross because we were experienced now, and there wasn't quite as much trouble getting into the drink.

That might be Christian again, I'm not sure
I love these mother/baby shots. They touch my heart. (Sunny and Ashley)

Another mother/baby combo (Chelsea and Grant)

Waiting in line to cross

Even the little ones helped...way to go Seth


I was impressed with how well everyone was taking it. I mean, check out Grant Rice...I think he slept through all three crossings.

Sweet dreams of a hot bath I am sure

This wagon held a special story. Bro. Toone had knee surgery shortly before the trek.

TJ, Emery, Anabelle, Josie, and Jordan Toone

He did the first day fine because he had a special cart, but he wasn't going to do the second day because he knew that he would be a burden on someone's cart. TJ especially, but many others as well, insisted that he come, and TJ was proud to pull him along with his daughters. Everyone deserved to be there to experience the good and the bad. And we all knew that had Bro. Toone been whole, he would have pulled as hard as the next man.

There was a short hike before coming to the third river. I was impressed how the trail seemed to change. One minute we were on a trail, then rock, then tall grass.

Don't look closely, but I think THAT flag is right-side up

It kept it interesting. I love this picture. Since you can't see Sunny's face, I feel this could be any pioneer mom with her baby.

Pioneer women were amazing

Finally, river number three.

Last one guys

Like I said, people were feeling the end of the trek near, and mothers let children romp in the water.

I didn't get to walk in the water; Tyler carried me because I had the camera

Judging by Sierra, it might be a little chilly

Most of the time people ignored me and my camera, but every once in a while, someone took notice.

Silly Beaner
Love little David

Deborah and Jon were the last two to cross the river. It was sweet that he carried her.

Bro. Fairbanks was the bishop when we moved in; I still have great respect for him

And then it was over. We were all across. There were smiles everywhere you looked.

Camp is right around the corner
She is smiling because I told her to, not because we were almost done

There was a sense of accomplishment hanging in the air. I carried Pearl for a little while at the end.

Pearl, you did awesome

She too had succumbed to the exhaustion. We trekked the last short distance back to camp and then everyone packed up and headed home. We said a short prayer back at camp, but it started to rain a little and everyone was anxious to be on their way. Plus, it was another six hours in the car.

Yeah, me too Ivory, but I was driving

So, there you have it. What did I tell you, lots of pictures huh? But these are my memories, and all these pictures take me right back. I was proud to trek with those people. If I had been a pioneer, I would have wanted those same people by my side. I sometimes feel that like-people are asked to serve together during different dispensations of the gospel. The women I know now inspire me tremendously, even if they don't necessarily know how to milk a cow, hand-stitch a quilt-top, or bake bread from three ingredients. We are given different talents and different trials in our time now. I hope I am brave in my own right, and can be an example to those who come after me.

4 comments:

Heather A said...

Sounds like a great experience. Brave of you to do it with such a little baby.

Suzie Petunia said...

Great pictures! And what a tremendous experience. I've never been on a trek, but I really hope we get an opportunity to because I've heard so many amazing things about the experience families have together. Besides, my kids could use a little hard work and learning appreciation for what they have.

Aubry Macbean said...

I love the pictures. If it wasn't for you and Deanne I wouldn't have any.

Emma Jo said...

Amazing pictures, simply gorgeous.