Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ward Campout, A.k.a. Toad Fest 2011

We now bring you back to our regularly scheduled programming. Man, it feels good to have Martin's Cove off the to-do list. I may be slow sometimes, but at least I get things done. Boo-yah.

This weekend we went to our ward campout. I actually missed an hour or so of it, because I went back to retrieve the forgotten bassinet. (Which was a good choice, Pearl would have been lost without boundaries for sleeping.) While I was gone, stuff was happening. Like:

Pearl cuddling with Stephen


Pearl doesn't cuddle with just anyone, so those who receive her affections should feel special. (I know I always do.)

Snowcones and Facepainting




The Toad*


It looks like the toad was found and at first people were hesitant to touch it. Here they are watching and he is jumping away.


And then poking at him, because that is what kids do.


But by the time I arrived, he was in hand and didn't leave hands until he pooped. Then they dropped him til' he was done and picked him up again. He was the hit for sure. I guess June found him, because she named him Jumper and graciously let other children hold him. (Although I heard many complaints that she did not let people hold him long enough.) She looked like a little gang leader, traipsing around with a pack of kids following her. (Like little ducklings.) I wish I had gotten a picture, because it was hilarious. Nothing draws children like wildlife you can hold.



She really wanted everyone to touch it. Some of the moms were not so cooperative, but Pearl didn't know any better.


June was sad when we finally made her put the toad down. (Actually, he might have been a large frog, I don't really know the distinguishing features.) We had a camp devotional and s'mores. Then right before bed, when most of the kids were tucked in, a be's'mored ecstatic face pushed through the tent. "Look, I got another one, and it squeaks!"

Sure enough, this second toad, rightfully named 'Squeaky' did in fact make a little chirrup. (He sounded like a soft squeaky toy.) She was so thrilled. Tyler told her to put him back, but she only came back carrying two. "They both squeak!!" She named the last one 'Squish' because that is how his insides feel. (Her words, not mine.) She was so sad to put them back and she asked me multiple times, once she was in her sleeping bag, if we could keep one.

Also a hit of the campout was Moxy. We didn't want to leave her at home, so she came with. She is such a good little dog that stays close and is very patient with the kids. I think people probably get annoyed that she isn't on a leash most of the time, but I find that just makes it easier for the kids to choke her. (Or keep her captive.)


All in all, it was a good time. Pearl seemed to be a good sleeper, but in the morning, she wasn't interested in doing anything. No breakfast, no walking around. She wanted to be held, or she wanted to snuggle with her bear. She stills sucks on one finger when she is tired or going to sleep, and always while holding onto her bear's arm.


I think it is important for us to make it to these ward campouts, because I am not the outdoorsy type and the girls need some exposure to camping before heading to Girl's Camp. Maybe I need to pack the girls up and send them off for a camping weekend with Tyler...




*No toads were harmed in the posting of this blog.

3 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

It is so great that you are willing to give your girls this kind of experience. I am also not the "outdoorsy type". We've camped a time or two. Maybe just one time? And that was when some friends really twisted our arm. It is always fun, but oh so much work for the parents of young kids! I love the adventure with frog and/or toad. Kids and creatures are cute.

Emma Jo said...

Hm, I like the idea of sending them off with Dad for the quality camping time. Heaven help me if I ever get called to be a camp director.

meganmushrat said...

It sounds like June is following in my footsteps. When I was in school, the boys would bring snakes or toads to school to 'scare' the girls, and they were highly disgusted when I cooed over their offerings and wanted to hold them and play with them. When I was volunteering in Pre-school for you and Miranda, the teacher loved it when I was there, because I was the only mother who would take the snake out of its cage so the children could touch it. I guess I'm not natural - spiders don't bother me either.