Saturday, July 9, 2011

Side Note: Technology and the Other Generation

You know how I told you that I forget things. Well, I almost forgot one of the most hilarious moments of the trip.
My Mom, (and Dad) got a cell phone for the trip. It was a smart idea, and we used them a LOT in Disneyland to find each other. (Although it was always iffy whether Mom was going to answer since she tended to keep her phone just beyond hearing, but at least you knew she would call you eventually.)

We called Mom early on during the vacation to make sure that she would have our number in her phone. However, I don't think she knows where to look for previous calls. Especially since while we were at Tim's in Santa Rosa, we hear this message on his answering machine from Mom that says something like, "Please inform Maleen about such and such. I would call her myself, but I don't have her number." Except that it is in your PHONE! Whatever, she is trying.

Then the next day, I call her. She doesn't answer. Okay. Fine. And then moments later, I get a text message from her. (My mom knows how to text??) So I pull up the message and it says, I am in a meeting. At this point I am busting up. It is Sunday and she is on vacation and it is highly unlikely that she is in a meeting. Perhaps I just dialed the wrong number and someone else is texting me back. Nope...it was her.

When I finally got a hold of her, it turns out that she had tried to answer the phone, but she had hit the wrong button which had taken her to texting and the first option to send was, I am in a meeting. Poor Mom, I only laugh because I feel her pain. I don't text either, or at least I am still learning. My first text was practically unintelligible because I didn't know how to backspace. This world of technology can be so confusing. But at least she is giving it a go.

Like I said, the cell phones worked well. I'm just sad that I didn't get anymore texts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha! It's like reading about my dad and technology. I'm enjoying your Disney recap. Love that place!

meganmushrat said...

What a nice way to say that your mother is an absolute dufus when it comes to cell phones. If I ever do figure it out, don't expect many texts because with our plan, texting is extra. However, I am glad it provided you with some amusement.