Friday, December 27, 2019

A Series of Unfortunate Events

This day started out like any other. We headed to violin lessons but ran into a huge traffic jam. We found out later someone tried to cross six lanes of traffic to pick up a friend they thought had pulled off to the right but had actually stopped on the left shoulder. (Maybe communicate better when you ask for help.) Luckily, no one one died, but it did tie up almost all lanes of the freeway.

We thought we were smart and got in the carpool lane as things slowed down and then we found ourselves needing to get across six lanes to reach the exit. It was a struggle to say the least and we were easily a half hour behind schedule. June was so good to juggle both phones. She was navigating on one and checking the traffic report on the other.

When we arrived, there was someone parked in our normal spot. We were late and I just pulled forward to a different spot. It was an unfortunate spot.

Have you ever dropped your phone? I have dropped my phone so many times, it is hard to count. But it isn't always disastrous. It depends on where you drop your phone and how it lands. Turns out you only have to drop your phone one time if it lands in here.


Yep. I parked right over a sewer grate and with two phones to manage, June stepped out of the car and the one in her lap (hers) slipped into the sewer. She wasn't even sure at first what went in there, but it didn't take her long to figure it out.

That is unfortunate. I knew it was gone. We tried calling it but couldn't see anything. Then I dropped a rock in there and realized there was water. Lots of water. At least 6 inches. Super bummer. June handled it pretty well considering. She went in to play violin and I texted Tyler.

Tyler thought I should try to get the phone back. What?? Are you kidding? I can't move the grate and even if I could, how would I get the phone? I was a little steamed, but I asked Adam to help me. Like a hero he lifted the grate. And then he let me borrow a shovel. I dipped that shovel down into the murky depths and was quite surprised that it just kept going. This was no six inch hole.


Even feeling down into the depths was not helpful. And I'm not sure what all was down there...it felt a little like seaweed...but no phone was forthcoming. In this picture I marked a line for how far the shovel went in. 


No more phone. Don't worry, June has a job and she bought herself another phone, which she even likes a bit more than the last one. I can't help but wonder if it was just meant to be. Or was it just a series of unfortunate events?

No comments: