Thursday, October 6, 2011

Grandparents

This last weekend my parents were in town. Actually, they were here for about a week. It is cozy when they come because we don't have a guest bedroom, so Grandpa takes the girls room and we have the four oldest sleep in the loft. But I don't really begrudge them the room. Plus, I want my girls to realize that it is good to sacrifice things for family, even if it is just a bedroom for a week.

It was a really relaxed week with them. Well, it was still crazy busy for me, as per usual, but my folks entertained themselves and we got to spend some evenings together.

It is always fun to see how the girls react when family is here. (Since we don't live nearby any.) The girls bombarded my parents with everything from their latest school assignment to what they ate for lunch yesterday. Pearl (who is not sure of everybody) felt at ease almost at once and spent their entire trip bringing them anything she could lay her hands on. I would often come into the room to find Grandma holding five books, two blankets, a bear, and other odds and ends. Here they are making friends in the beginning.


Another fun thing my mom does, is write stories. There is no end to her creativity, and a few years back, she decided to write a story based on the girls. She writes one chapter at a time and the girls love to hear them. They are always looking forward to another installment. Grandma was tentatively planning on writing another one while she was here, but when she realized she had left June's birthday present at home, she was more dedicated to getting it finished. I make it sound like it took a long time, but she went upstairs one morning to use my computer and a short time later, she was finished. Super impressive.

When the girls were all home from school, they sat down to listen to the next chapter. (It did have to be about spiders, didn't it mom?)



The red-head is not mine, but Hannah might as well be, since she and June are as thick as thieves. She comes over every other Friday and she seemed to enjoy the story as much as the rest of them.

I didn't take pictures like I should have. (Typical.) Tyler snapped this one that I thought was great.


June was decorating G'ma's shirt. The blue jewels are part of the shirt, but the leaves are all strategically placed. It looks like they should be there, huh? But they just came off our bush out front.

Over Conference weekend, Tyler took the kids up to see his parents, and I stayed and watched with my folks. I don't know who had more fun, but I KNOW I had the quieter house.

It is always fun when you come to visit, Mom and Dad. (Please imagine a picture here. I meant to get one with you all weekend and somehow forgot. You may flog me later.)

1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

How fun to have your family visit you - it looks like you guys had a lot of fun.