Sunday, October 2, 2011

Nine Lives

Yep, I have been missing, but when you combine having family in town with a giggly-girl spectacular (a.k.a. birthday party) then you come up with one tired momma who is amazed she is still functioning.

I will highlight family soon, but because I have already missed her birthday by a few days, let's talk about my oldest (now 9) June.

June had an excellent birthday, if I do say so myself. Which I guess I will have to until she gets a blog of her own. Trust me...I am not encouraging that yet. This year was her scheduled friend party. I was skeptical, but I want to create memories for her and then remind myself why I only do this every OTHER year. June is attending her new school with new friends that she will probably have in her class for a few years, so this seems a good time to get to know all these young ladies.

The morning started as usual. I sent June off to school, but then I brought balloons when I picked her up.


I got her the traditional nine, but one popped in her classroom. Two things stuck out to me when I visited her school. 1) It is only an elementary school, but over half of the kids who passed me were taller than I am. Sad. 2) June requested Rolos as a treat for her class and although they were a bit pricey, I got them because she has never asked for a specific treat before. They were a bit hit. I don't really think of myself as that mom that gets her kids whatever they want, but birthdays are special.

When all the family was assembled we opened her family gifts before the party started. I was surprised at how alike June and Robyn look here.


Pearl was digging the balloons. Please ignore my stone face.


We bought June a bike earlier this week. I don't even think she likes to ride all that much, but her legs are out-growing her last set of wheels, so it seemed time. Pearl though the helmet was cool. (Pearl likes to be doing everything we do these days.)


And then the party guests descended like so many birds on a live wire. Actually they weren't too bad and we had plenty of activities to keep them busy. Our craft was trickier than I imagined, but the end result was so darling.


Winkum turned out to be the big favorite. Whoever got the winkum card was in charge of winking at people to get them out. But people could raise their hand if they saw someone winking and get winkum out instead. Simple game, but perfect for this age group. And that is why it looks like we are all sitting around staring at each other...because we are.


Gift opening was a treat. Some parent got gold tinsel that the kids promptly spread all over the entire floor.


It is a good thing I wasn't paying attention to who gave that gift because I might have sent home a nasty note. Well, not really, but I am still finding that stuff all over the house.

The cake was not homemade. (I can't do it all.) But it was cute.


June blew out the candles as usual.


I can't believe she is nine. She is growing up fast. She is such a fun child. I love to watch her sense of humor take shape and her independence develop. And I take heart that even though she is the child we experiment on, she seems to be turning out okay.

5 comments:

Scott and Svetlana said...

Wow, such a big girl!!! I always remember your kiddos so little and cute, and I have never thought that someone will turn 9... Holy moly! Happy B-day June!

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

"Nine Lives" I like it! Happy B'day to June. Looks like a great party. The craft was super cute. I like the photo of June blowing out her candles. So creative!

Chelle! said...

I can't believe that she is already nine!! She is growing up so fast. YOU throw the most amazing parties.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing party you threw! And you have more children than me, so I can't do my mental comment of: well I could do that too if I had less children. Loved the birthday picture where it looks like you guys are getting sucked away...how did you do that?I always see you posts on Emily's blog, but never jumped over cause honestly my blogging is getting out of control. But what the heck. Your girls are beautiful and I love your attitude on life.
Cheers,
Leah

¡Vieve! said...

That party looks like so much fun! I'm jealous of that cake, it loos so good! Happy birthday to June!