Monday, July 2, 2012

Dresser Makeover

This last week was a good week for me. (There at the end.) The growth chart was making me feel pretty fabulous, but then I redid Ivory's dresser, and I fell in love with myself all over again. I jest. (But only a little. It is good to like oneself, right?)

I picked up a dresser for June at a garage sale a million years ago. Okay, so maybe only like 8 years ago, but it has been a while. I stenciled some stripes and butterflies on the sides and painted the knobs dark purple. (It matched the bottom butterfly.) It was a cute little dresser that I gave to June on her second birthday. Please excuse that I am in my pajamas and not wearing make-up. (Apparently as I looked back through old pictures, that was a theme running through the years with small children. No make-up and pajamas. But we all do what we can to make it through the day.) And sorry, that is the best picture I had of the dresser.


Well the dresser has seen some wear, and it has been handed down a few children. It is currently Ivory's dresser. Somewhere along the way, I allowed her to put stickers on it. Let me tell you right now. NEVER LET YOUR CHILDREN PUT STICKERS ON FURNITURE!!! Because later on when you decide that maybe you want to redo the furniture, you may spend HOURS scraping and sanding off stickers. No fun.

I only have myself to blame. Tyler told me not to let her put stickers on, but it seemed so harmless. Lots of stickers though.


I stole the dresser idea from a friend who did her boy's dresser in an Ombre blue pattern. But I chose pink, because...well, there is never enough pink around here, obviously.

Here is how the dresser looked before. It is missing a drawer because I had been scraping off stickers. (Seriously...no stickers.)


And here is the finished dresser.


Awesome huh? I love the little pink knobs. I also went to Lowe's for the paint and knobs. They have lots of fun knobs, but they can get pretty pricey. They had these fun glass ones, but they were $7.50 a piece. Times eight, and you are spending $60 on knobs alone. That is too pricey for me. And then I saw the pink ones for 96 cents each. (LESS THAN A DOLLAR!!) I think they were the cheapest knobs there. Maybe pink isn't in style at Lowe's, but it looks great at my house.

So, there you have it. Old dresser, gone new. Ivory really likes it. She invited her Primary teachers over after church just so they could see her room.



*I would just like to note that I can't seem to count. Last week I said Nine weeks down, Three to go, but that doesn't equal eleven weeks. It should have been Eight weeks down, Three to go. Which leaves us this week at Four weeks down, and Seven to go. We are back on track.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That looks amazing. Seriously, great job!

¡Vieve! said...

That looks super awesome! Great job!