Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Computer Room and a Lemon Raspberry Cake

This week there was quite a change in our deep clean area, but it is such an awkward place to take pictures that it is really hard to show the difference. We cleaned out the Computer closet in the living room. You may remember this picture? The girls really like the computer in there but the rest of the space was getting a bit crowded with whatever junk came its way.

It was getting pretty cluttered.


And the extra space was so packed that you couldn't even get in there.


But now it is looking a lot better.


Especially this extra space here.


We even put that old dresser to good use and stored piano and scripture books in there. I am really liking the new set-up for now. We'll see if we can keep the kids from dragging random items in there.

Today we made our treat of the week: Lemon Raspberry Cake.

It didn't look anything like the picture, but it still tasted delish. See, the picture showed this fabulous raspberry swirl at the top of the cake. And I dutifully put the raspberry topping on and swirled it into the cake. Yum. I almost took a picture because it looked so pretty. And in retrospect maybe I should have because the swirl completely disappeared. Probably because the batter was thin and the raspberry topping was thick. Regardless, my swirl ended up in and more towards the bottom of the cake. But that didn't mess with the flava'. Check it out.


And then when you add this raspberry-lemon sauce on top, it was quite divine.


All my kids had seconds.

Oh, so go here for the recipe and to see how the cake looks if you get an actual swirl on top. (And if you were wondering, I did substitute the water for the raspberry liqueur.)

And if one treat weren't enough, I had to go and try something new. I saw this idea for something new to toast on the grill, and I was intrigued. I think they are called 'Banana S'mores'.

There were no instructions so I just followed the pictures and winged it. I could tell you needed a banana, some chocolate chips and marshmallows.


We wrapped them in foil and put them on the grill for about 10 minutes. Then we unwrapped them and tossed some crushed graham cracker on top. Not too bad.


The girls thought they were good. You know, it isn't often that we get a unanimous vote in the affirmative. (And really, Pearl looked at it and wouldn't try it, but I know she would have liked it if she would put aside her much too opinionated attitude.)

And now with my much sweeter belly, it is off to bed.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I love your before and afters--you inspired me to do my little pantry this week. The boys thought it was so fun. The pictures don't look that much different, but the idea was there!

¡Vieve! said...

Those look so delicious, I want to eat them!