Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Homemade Lullaby

I've always loved the lullaby, Hush Little Baby, but I have to admit that I always sat wondering why Daddy (or Mama) is buying those random things for his baby. After all, what is she going to do with a cart and bull? I guess in the olden days those things would be pretty important, but now a days, Mockingbirds are really annoying birds that my Mother-in-law wants to use as target practice.

As I sang to Pearl in the evenings, it seemed too outdated. I know kids don't care too much what you sing, but I wanted something she could connect with. So, while I was shopping one day, I started on a new version, and I like it a lot. The girls love it. I get requests often. And I know you want to hear it so you can all sing this new modern version to your kiddos.

Hush little baby, cuz you were born, Daddy's gonna get you a unicorn.

But if that unicorn's not real, Daddy's gonna get you a big two wheel.

But if that big two wheel's too scary, Daddy's gonna get you a glitter fairy.

But if that glitter fairy's a flake, Daddy's gonna make you a whole cheesecake.

But if that whole cheesecake goes bad, Daddy's gonna get you a new iPad.

But if that new iPad's on loan, Daddy's gonna get you a cool cell phone.

But if that cool cell phone won't text, Daddy's gonna get you some high heels next.

But if those heels don't come in red, Daddy's gonna get you a princess bed.

But if that princess bed falls down, you'll still be the cutest little girl in town.

There you go, a modern version for your trendy baby.

I do apologize that I haven't written anything about our week yet and tomorrow is Friday (finally!!) I keep forgetting to download my pictures. But I have plenty of posts to mark off (I never should have told you about my dots, should I?) so here is some bonus footage.

There have been some amazing storms and rainbows this summer. Several times there have been double rainbows. Absolutely gorgeous. Tyler caught one on the 24th while we were leaving to see fireworks.


Since the girls' beds are so close together, they made a fort the other day. Why is it that forts make kids so happy? Maybe we all need a place to hide sometimes.


June's hair was getting long. LOOOOOONNNNGG.


Mine too, but I'm holding onto my locks for a while longer. But June was okay cutting hers as long as she could donate to 'Locks of Love.' I happened to notice that Fantastic Sams (near us) gives a free haircut to those donating. That's a steal of a deal. So June came home looking more like this.


 I think it looks great on her. And it probably feels good in this summer heat.

4 comments:

meganmushrat said...

I am so glad to see that the gift of poetry is still running strong in our genes. Grandpaul and Grandma would be so proud. I love your new version of the song - and I love June's haircut too. She is becoming quite the young lady.

Emma Jo said...

Bizzarro parallel continues. My kids have been singing "hush little baby" all month except they don't know the end so maybe we should learn your version. And my Abby is growing out her hair for Locks of Love. I love a good, fresh haircut!

Valeri Jones said...

that song is the cutest thing ever!! i hope to be a mom like you as my little Bayli grows up.

¡Vieve! said...

Holy cute hair! That looks so great. And so nice to get a free haircut, for yourself donating to charity.