Monday, August 13, 2012

Ten Down, ONE to go

This is the LAST week of summer. Well, not the official last week of summer. (That happens some time in September.) But it is the last week before school starts. (Around here.)

It has been such a great summer. I feel we got a lot done and I learned some new stuff, and I'm happy that I spent a LOT of time with my kids. It is rare that I feel that I didn't waste my time, but this summer, I was focused and I feel that every day we spent good time together. (Yes there was fighting, and this last week NO ONE got their checklists done, but I never claimed it was perfect.)

Let's finish up last week before this 'last' week is gone.

WEDNESDAY:

Our field trip was to the City Creek Center. I really just wanted to check it out in person, but I figured the girls could walk around and see the sights as well. There were a lot of water features. Fountains galore!



I didn't even notice the temple in that earlier shot, but when I saw it, I decided to take another picture. Temples are so beautiful to me.


We found the creek not too long after. Yes, the rocks say 'no climbing'. Let's just pretend that my children are not on them. And definitely not posing on them.


Let's be realistic—three children had climbed onto the rocks before I even got through the door with the stroller. We did a mostly good job of keeping everyone in order after that. (Mostly.)

Even with children fake sleeping on the rocks, no one reprimanded us. (Thank you City Creek People who have obviously seen a lot of children 'playing.' You are much nicer than the butcher at Walmart who plucked Daisy off the middle aisle as she climbed on it. She was totally shocked that someone would touch her. Actually...I was too.)


We stopped for a photo on the sky bridge.


On the other side of the Mall, by the food court, we found the play area. I should have brought a book...it was glorious. The kids played forever on the dinosaurs. I gave them the challenge of getting from one side to the other without touching the ground. They jumped from one dino to the next and had a great time. There was something for everyone. I didn't bother taking too many pictures, because they were moving too fast.


After, we got smoothies. The rule in our family is: Everyone Shares. (Mainly because I am not willing to buy six individual anything. Okay, every once in a while, we splurge, but not often.) So the girls know the drill. They paired up and chose flavors together.


Pearl is usually my partner. And she never complains about what flavor I get. (At least for now.)


The City Creek Center obviously has a lot of shopping choices, but most are a bit pricey for our taste. But Claire's was right up our alley. Pearl was in heaven.


We had a bit of fun dressing up.


And June even made a purchase of her own. (I love it when my children use their OWN money to buy stuff. And it is even better when it is something darling that isn't candy.)


After that, we headed home. I should mention that the kids loved the escalators. We had to go up and down multiple times.


Pearl spent most of the time in the stroller. (The stars must have aligned in just the right way for me.)

We had a very fun time. Looks like we have another location that we will have to take Dad to eventually.

THURSDAY:

We saw The Adventure of TinTin. It was fun, if a little intense at parts. Unfortunately, it was so active, my movement sickness was triggered. (You may not know this about me, but I have problems playing video games that show a lot of movement, because it makes me sick eventually...or very quickly—depends on the game.) I had to leave the theater to calm my stomach and Ivory decided to join me since she was a bit scared. We came back in for the ending, but I was bummed that I missed a big chunk in the middle. It might have been from sitting too close. But I get to chose where we sit next time. :)

FRIDAY SUNDAY:

Ahem...Friday was busy and we went to the Library instead. I kept thinking that I would get to the craft later, but I didn't. In fact, I didn't get to it ever. I finally gave Tyler the stuff on Sunday and told him to keep the kids busy that morning while I went to meetings. He is such a good Dad. He even took pictures.

It was more of an experiment than a craft. All you do is microwave Ivory soap, and it turns into soap clouds. It doesn't take long to do, and then you can let the kids play with it outside or in the tub. We broke off a few chunks and let kids take baths with cloud soap.

Kids ready to go: Check


Soap in: Check


Reminder to clean microwave: Check

Soap Cloud: Check


Another one: Check


Reminder to not cook them too long: Check


Apparently soap clouds (when overdone) come with a black lining, not a silver one.

Daddy daughter activity accomplished: Check

Tyler even took video, but you can't see into the microwave well enough to see them expand.

I will say this though, the house smelled nice and clean when I came back home.

My Nephew is coming to visit tonight. He stays for a week. I am hoping that he will enjoy all our random activities. Especially since this our last week to play. In fact, I should probably stop blogging and go pick him up. (Just kidding Tim, I won't forget you. I promise to be there early.)




1 comment:

¡Vieve! said...

Fun! I recently went to City Creek for the first time meself. I didn't get to explore as much as you guys, but you make it look so fun.