Friday, August 10, 2012

Run for Life

Let's go down memory lane for a moment.

Remember when I started runnning a mile in the mornings a year ago?

And then I stopped.

I only ran 13 times before my allergies kicked in and spoiled the show.

Then I ran that 5k for Beth and finished in 34: 38.

And so ended my exercising, yet again.

I made that goal intention to 'find some exercise plan I like,' at the beginning of the year.

Not so much.

Although I did run another 5k in the spring (with a stroller) finishing at 41:45.

Slow going since then. Or more accurately, NO going.

Summer seems to be my time to make running resolutions. The other day, the 9th of July to be exact, I decided that I needed to stop slacking. I knew I needed to do something drastic to make myself accountable. So I put out there on Facebook (in my neighborhood) that I was going jogging the next morning and someone should join me.

And so began a beautiful relationship. An amazing gal, McKenzie said she could use a running buddy. In fact, she was in the midst of taking a running class at BYU. (No pressure.) We decided to get up early and run M, W, F. And we have been doing it. Diligently.

We even ran a 5 miler the other day, so she could catch up on some miles for her class. I don't think I have EVER run 5 miles at a time. I felt so great. And that particular week we ran a total of 12 miles. I KNOW!! This is pretty stellar for me.

Tyler noticed I was more serious this time around and let me get some new kicks for the road. I love these babies.


And I really needed them. They (the ambiguous 'they') suggest that you wear running shoes one size larger than your normal shoe size, so your toes don't slam into the front of your shoe as much. Since I was wearing a half-size too small, it was time to upgrade. Look at the difference.


Much roomier, and they feel great.

Today is our one month running anniversary. (Much better than 13 days if you ask me.) (Wait, I don't want to exaggerate. Last year, the 13 days were over the course of a month. So, I checked and McKenzie and I have gone running 16 times over the course of a month. So, not a lot more. But the difference in miles is huge. Before, I did 13 miles in 13 days. This time it is closer to 40 miles in 16 days. Cool huh?)

I run slower now, and that is great. That is what I need right now. Previously, I was trying to catch a time. I wanted to run a mile in less than 10 minutes. I did it. My last time recorded (last year) was 9:41. But I was still wheezing and hurting by the end.

McKenzie and I run slower, but farther. I feel I am training my body to run. Not for a time, but for life. She finished her class this week and logged her 70 miles. (Go McKenzie!) And this morning, she wanted to test her mile to see how she had improved. We pushed hard and ran it in 9:32.

That was my best time yet, and I wasn't wheezing at the end. We were stoked.

I know school is starting soon. And I know it is getting darker in the mornings. And I know there will be a million excuses why I can't run. But I hope I can get past that. I realize that a running buddy is just what I need. It is the ONLY thing getting me up some mornings. Thanks McKenzie.

I do have a small goal for the future. I would still like to run a 5k in under 30 minutes. But that means running a  9:42 mile for THREE miles. (Well, 3.1 miles to be more precise.) That seems beyond me right now, but it is certainly not out of reach. And it is good to work for something.

And it is GREAT to feel healthy; to feel energized. Here's to running...for life.

5 comments:

McKenzie said...

Yay! I love running with you and I love seeing our improvement! Here's to fall running--it might be worth some trail runs!

Jenaca and Stephen said...

YAY... that is so impressive! Way to go!

BTW I just read your comment about getting together this fall when Stephen is busy and in law school and doing crafts. I would LOVE it! Crafting is so fun... especially when you have a good friend to do it with!

meganmushrat said...

Tim just told me that when he was in 6th grade he knew some kids that could run a mile in 6 minutes. There's a goal for you! I can't imagine running a mile. In fact, I can't even imagine trotting, jogging, walking or shuffling a mile. Does the fact that I have a bad foot excuse me? Can I use my recent surgery to bow out? I guess my age doesn't count as many people older than me are out there doing their running thing. I'm very proud of you.

¡Vieve! said...

Awesome! You're running really great, keep it up! I love those shoes, too, so pink!

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

Wow! Way to go on the running!! 5 miles, that's awesome. I love those pink sneaks!