Saturday, August 25, 2012

It's a Zoo!

While Tim visited, we had field trip day. I had something planned, but then I figured I could take him to the zoo for FREE! That is the great thing about a membership, and you might as well get your use out of it.

It was hot and I didn't bring any snacks, (shame on me) but everyone was very good.

We hit a few favorites at the beginning. You gotta drink from the lion.


And get sprayed by the elephant.


Of course, the elephant fell asleep. We could hear him snoring. The girls almost lost interest, but then he suddenly woke up.


We saw some of the amazing animals like the Polar Bear and Tiger. (Does it look like some kid is giving the Polar Bear the peace sign?)


I should mention that the crocodile was still in the EXACT SAME POSITION as the last two times we saw him. I would think he is stuffed, except the dead rat comes and goes, so maybe he does get up to eat every once in a while.

We also saw the seal show down at Rocky Shores. That was pretty neat.

Oh, and June kept requesting that I take a picture of the peacock. Behold, a peacock.


I wanted to take Tim to the bird show, so we got in line early and I caved into buying some snacks. I actually gave kids the choice of a snack or a ride on the carousel. Daisy was the only one who wanted to ride. Here she is on the dolphin.


She looks a little worried because I stepped away to take a picture but she thought the ride would start without me holding her. When we got off the ride, I asked if she had fun.

She said, "Yes, now can I get something to eat?" (Ouch. Obviously not quite understanding the deal, but she and I were brave and didn't have snacks together.)

The bird show was fun, and I decided that I would get to hold a bird this time around. If Sarah could do it, then so could I. I had my fiver ready, and we randomly sat in the same section she was in previously. (Who knows if that helps the bird if he goes in the same direction each time.) We played games to pass the time until it started.


Then, later in the show, when they asked for volunteers...sure enough: they picked me. I should have asked Tim to hold the camera, but I was not THAT prepared. We'll just pretend that I looked something like this guy, though with a bigger bird and not nearly as cute as he.


Also, from our vantage point, the bald eagle was well placed. Last time it wasn't quite the photo op it was this time. Doesn't he look stunning?


And then we went home. Phew. The zoo can wear you out. I did get a group photo. Love all these kids.


I sometimes call them my monkeys. Some days they act more like them than others. Ives does a pretty good impression.


2 comments:

meganmushrat said...

I see you still weren't able to get Tim to give a normal smile for the camera. Looks like you had a good time.

¡Vieve! said...

Oh how fun! I still want to go to the zoo this year - this blog makes me want to go soon!