Monday, March 7, 2011

Sensored

I would apologize in advance for this post, but most of you are aware of our off-humor sometimes. Plus, if you didn't want to read this post, you wouldn't be here in the first place?

The other day, I was reading to the kids, a fairly normal occurence. Ivory got a princess book for her birthday and we were enjoying the pictures and the wondertube. Tyler was on the couch, half paying attention and half dozing. Then I read a line that will forever go down in history in our house.

(Mouse talking to Cinderella)
"Where have you been today?" Jaq asked.

I continued to read along blithely, although I wish I could have seen Tyler's face at this point. He didn't miss a beat, but came back with, "Yes, where have you been today, JACK ASked?"

The kids were clueless, of course. I was trying very hard not to laugh hysterically at his rude humor, but I wasn't doing the best job.

I managed to read through three princess stories, all the time being bombarded by Tyler with phrases that Jack might have asked. He kept laughing and I kept laughing and the kids looked on with curious amazement.

But don't think they didn't put something together. Ivory has started being funny recently. She does things that make me laugh outright. So she tries a little harder to get a foot in the door when it comes to jokes. We were all sitting eating dinner the next evening and talking about whatnot and suddenly Ivory says something and follows it up with 'Jack asked' and a round of her own cute giggles. (After all, that is what her parents did for an hour the night before.) And boy did we laugh again. This did not help in way of encouragement.

So that phrase comes up more than is entirely appropriate at the moment. On the way to the grocery store. As we were leaving from church. (Thank goodness we were leaving.) I'm trying not to react so we can squash it early, but it doesn't help that Tyler says it quite a bit himself. And it is funny. You know, the whole I'm-swearing-but-it-doesn't-count-because-it's-not-really-a-swear-word game.

And speaking of foul language. Daisy speaks well enough, but there are still plenty of words that I can't decipher. There is one in particular that I can't figure out. I don't know what she is saying, but it sure sounds like the f-word. She doesn't say it often, but it pops up every now and then and I cringe a little. The f-word happens to be my least favorite of the swear words. (I only know like 5 to begin with anyway.) Since I don't know what the original word is, I don't really know when she will use it again. I have my fingers crossed that she will try it out in nursery sometime. (Those people need a good laugh.)

Now that you all think a smidge less of our family, I will tell you one of Ivory's first really good jokes. We were folding laundry and she had taken a sheet out of the hamper. She will usually lay the sheet down on the floor and fold it laboriously from the corners. That isn't so bad, except that I don't really like my clean sheets on the floor; it kind of defeats the purpose of washing them. So instead, this time I picked it up and showed her how two people can fold a sheet together holding the corners. She thought that was fabulous; she'd never seen anything quite like it. I know I used to have the kids help with the sheets, but for the last while (say 3 years or so) I just fold the sheets myself or the kids do the floor-method. She wanted to try it again, so she got the biggest thing she could find (a towel) and said, "Here mom, you take the end," and we folded it together. We did one more towel and then we ran out of large items. So we went back to folding clothing together. A minute later I hear, "Here mom, you take the end," and I look up to see her holding a washcloth. It was so funny and I love it when you can see their little minds coming up with something all by themselves.

I hope you laugh every day, because I sure do.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We seriously could have a stupid/bad joke contest between our families. And the word that starts with f that I can't figure out either happens too. In fact I might have it on video. Maybe I'll post that and we can decipher together.

Emma Jo said...

A serious downside to kids getting older is not being able to do that in front of them anymore...my kids are starting to catch on and it's ruining all our fun! Time to learn a new language.

Nick said...

That is way too funny! It's fun to see kids mimic the laughter of their parents. Because we always laugh after reading Baby Blues comics, now my daughter will laugh after reading them herself even though she doesn't get why they're funny.