Friday, March 4, 2011

Theodor Geisel Day (It just doesn't have the same ring to it)

National Read Across America Day was on Tuesday, which is celebrated then because it is also Dr. Seuss' Birthday. The school went all out and they had a ton of Seuss related activities. And the girls came home looking like this.


Did I miss this last year or just simply forget? Apparently, it is a big deal. I mean, if you make it onto a bracelet, it is serious stuff.


Although, I'm not sure if the words serious and Dr. Seuss go together. Even though his books are colorful and full of rhymes, Dr. Seuss still wrote about some controversial issues, like in The Lorax, and The Butter Battle Book. However, I think the bulk of his books are just lighthearted and fun. (At least, I can't see any political agenda behind One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.)

Most importantly, Dr. Seuss books get children to read. This one doesn't need extra encouragement though. This is pretty much how I find her every day after school. She walks in the door with her nose in a book. I hope that lasts for a long time.


1 comment:

Heather A said...

Kim's school is doing a whole week of it next week, including an evening activity for families. We're looking forward to it.