Monday, November 10, 2014

Turn Around, Bright Eyes

On October 8th, something happened that has only happened a handful of times since George Washington was the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army: there was a total lunar eclipse. (Please forgive me if this is wrong. I got the info off google. I'm sure many of you know a lot more about this than I.) Astronomy and star gazing falls squarely in Tyler's camp, mainly because I don't like to be cold. Find me a nice warm night and I will happily come look at the stars. Oh, and if you could get those stars in the sky before my bedtime, that would be a bonus.

Stars, our eternal nocturnal friends. And let's not forget the moon. (Although he is much nicer about showing up during dusk and dawn.)

Tyler was excited to show the girls the eclipse. He woke us all up around 3 am. I stumbled to the window, took a glance or two, declared it fabulous and went back to bed. (Have I mentioned that I don't wake up well? Tyler could write a dozen posts on that subject alone, although I don't think it would shine kindly on me.)

The kids were troopers though. They went out and sat on the bench to dutifully watch the shadow slowly cover the moon. I can identify girls in this picture by their particular brand of blanket. (I know Daisy is all the way to the left even though you can't see her.)


I think Tyler got some great pictures, although he wasn't very satisfied with them. Not much moon left.


Now only a sliver.


And gone.


Oh, but the man of the hour is right here with me. Let's get his informed opinion of the eclipse...

so, it was cloudy.
and it was early.
and it was awesome.
 by tyler

There you have it. Straight from the source. Maybe I'll get up for the next one...

1 comment:

meganmushrat said...

Reminds me of the time when I was a kid and we were staying in a cabin at Yosemite. One night a bear came and was ransacking the place for food. Grandma woke me up to see the bear, and I just looked at it, said "very nice" and went right back to bed. I had (and still have) no memory of the bear whatsoever. I don't wake up well either (most of the time).